Non-U.S. Citizens have to comply with TSA regulations and requirements before they can start flight training in the U.S.
Follow these steps to guide you quickly through the registration process
There are 4 types of training requests that can be submitted to TSA:
Category 1 is for pilots who do not have a heavy type rating (over 12,500 lbs.) on their FAA or foreign airman certificate.
Category 2 is for pilots who do have a heavy type rating (over 12,500 lbs.) on their FAA or foreign airman certificate, but are training in an aircraft they are not currently qualified in.
Category 3 is for pilots training in any aircraft with a MTOW of 12,500 lbs. or less. (Note: in many cases Category 3 is waived and no TSA application is required. Check with your learning center).
Category 4 is for pilots who are training in aircraft with a MTOW over 12,500 lbs. that they are already qualified in, for example recurrent training. No fingerprints are required.
STEPS FOR YOUR TSA CLEARANCE
- Once you receive your Visa, initiate your TSA application by registration with information and training start date, on flightschoolcandidates.gov
- Click on the “Application Guide” Tab and follow the Steps to complete.
- On completion of all the steps contact World Wide Wings to review and approve your application.
- Pay the TSA fee online (USD 130)
- Receive Confirmation email that your Application is in Process from TSA (firstname.lastname@example.org). This email will include the 6 digit Training Request Number.
- Your TSA account will also show this request number on your home page (Be sure that this email address is not stopped by the spam filter of your IP.)
- Receive Updates on the Status of your Application progress.
- An email is sent from TSA once they are satisfied with your documentation and application. (this step typically occurs 10 business days after the 6 digit Training Request Number is assigned)
- Receive Final Approval: TSA will email you permission to initiate flight training. (this step typically occurs 10 business days after Documents Accepted Status)